Friday, December 26, 2008

There are Talibans everywhere

I was reading an article from Pakistan about anti-fundo sentiments prevalent in Pakistan. Common man there is as much loathful of fundamentalists as anywhere else. No one likes to be dictated as to what is right to do and what not at gun point. The view is same everywhere that these guys want to remove any trace of enjoyment from people's life.
But then I realised how much these Talibans resemble similar groups with different names. When some group which includes government decides as to what languages I should study in school and college, in what language business establishments should put their signboards, whether or not I can give gift on Valentine day and so on, what is the difference. Impose your own thinking by force and intimidation on larger masses. In a government office I can get forms only in one language. Imagine in Tamilnadu I get government forms only in Tamil, in Maharashtra only in Marathi and in Gujarat only in Gujarati. If I want to live or do business there I should know local language or get out.
That also brings me to micro level where my loyalty should be. Other day I was with some one whose cell phone rang and promptly he replied "Jai Maharashtra" instead of hello. Nothing wrong. But then I thought can I be broad minded and say "Jai Hind" or go further and say "Jai World" or go down and say " Jai Versova", " Jai Borivali" etc. Why loyality is to be predetermined by a group of people with their own agenda.
That brings me back to my question why there are Talibans everywhere?

No comments: